Tuesday, May 20, 2008

H20 + Markers


= fun with watercolors!!

I saw a great blog post the other day about watercoloring with Stampin' Up! markers, and I thought I'd give it a try. Her example used this image from Bloomin' Wonderful, which I have actually never used! I love that poppy so much I never stray from it! But she inspired me to try the technique, and it's so easy I went on to do a few more. I bought a large pad of watercolor paper at Office Depot and cut it up to use for these projects. The floral panel is 4x3. I stamped the image in Brilliance Graphite Black and heat set it. Then I colored the edges of the vase in Eggplant Envy and did the same with just the centers of the flowers with Summer Sun. The leaf was outlined in Old Olive. Then, I took a brand spanking new AquaPainter and just watercolored - blending from dark to light and going over the marker a few times with water where the color was really concentrated. Watercolor paper is perfect for this because it holds up to the multiple applications of water without tearing or pilling. The center of the flowers are accented with my white gel pen. Then I took a Staedtler Micron pen and signed it because I thought it really looked like a little painting! On the eggplant card base I stamped the "blossom" definition from this set over and over again in eggplant ink.
The sweet little bunny and carrots are from "Can Ya Dig It?" by My Favorite Things. Such an adorable set. I took this scene from ebethneu's adorable bunny book on SCS. Her work is amazing. I didn't mount this one or anything - I just wanted to make a little bunny painting. So it's just propped up on my desk. MFT really has great imaged - heads or no heads - they're cute!!! :) (Jenn, that was for you!)
Again, this is just Stampin' Up! Markers, and then an AquaPainter to blend and lighten. What amazes me is how quick this really is. Also a note - your markers do NOT work on wet paper. So scribble first, and then use the A/P - not the other way around.
The next card features that adorable castle image from Doodle Factory Fairy Tale. So cute. I decided to get a little Zindorfy for the background and sort of Markie's Mom around the edges!! I colored the castle and then went over the whole thing with my VersaMarker. Then I embossed it (and the cloud) in clear embossing powder. That left me free to sponge in the hills and sky without ruining my main image. It's funny how the Carmine Copic Marker really coordinates with Real Red - It certainly doesn't look like that on the cap! I used Cool Shadow and the Toner Grays on the castle. The little mushrooms are from the same set, cut out and popped up on the card. The greeting is from Min Positive Words.
Finally, I got my adorable Fresh Cuts notes and stamp set this week - man I love them!!! (Demonstrators can pre-order them - if you're a customer, they're coming!) I just popped the little petals out, stuck some Basic Grey patterned paper on the inside front, and stamped "Thanks"
from this same set on the outside in Ruby Red (which is an amazing match
to this BG paper!) Then I popped one of the Fire rhinestone brads into the center. Really simple cute cards you can make with these. I can't wait until we can order them and bunches of them!!
I hope you guys are having a great Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. love checkin' in on you during the day and seeing what you posted during the night while i was probably sleeping! everything's adorable, although i'm frustrated with SU! for using the same flower image i already have several stamps of for these little 3x3 cards. help me get excited please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha! Beautiful painting, Lydia. Thanks for explaining all the detail. There's a 2nd leaf at about 10 o'clock, at the back upper-left of the flowers. Incidentally, I'm crazy about sage shadow. Different strokes, and all that.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...