Saturday, September 6, 2008

Faux Copics and Acute Feline Laziness Syndrome

Hostess Club was today and it was really fun! There were some new faces this week, so a warm welcome to Cara, Berne, and Kelly!!

We did three projects today - two Halloween projects and the faux Copic card.

So do you cringe at the thought of paying hundreds of dollars for Copic Markers? Let's face it, once you have tried them, you are going to want them all, so you know it's a slippery slope and you might not feel like sticking a toe over the top just yet. Well no fear - you can have a lot of fun with just your regular Stampin' Up! Water Based Markers. Take for example, this beautiful pumpkin image from Harvest Home. All you have to do is use three markers - Pumpkin Pie, Really Rust and Creamy Caramel to get this look. First, color the pumpkins with Pumpkin Pie. (tee hee - what the heck else would you use?) Then, add shadows with your Really Rust marker. Don't worry if they don't look too blended! Then, cover the whole pumpkin with Creamy Caramel, which softens the other two colors and helps them look blended! I just accidentally combined these because I was too lazy to get the Copics or my blender pen out. I added Creamy Caramel to the background everywhere except the farmhouse. Then for the last magical step, I coated the whole image with my VersaMark marker, added clear embossing powder and embossed it. It's AMAZING how vivid the colors look once you do this step!!

I hope you try this and like it as much as I do. I randomly chose the colors, so I am sure there are other color combos that would look great - so try it!

Next we had to make a HallOWLween project, of course, with Owl Together Now. My upline, Pam, made me a cute pink TicTac holder that I just had to share. To make this, take a 5 x 3 piece of cardstock, round the corners, and score it at 2 1/8" & 2 7/8". Corner round a piece of coordinating background paper - this one is from Ghostly Greetings that is 1 7/8" x 2 5/8" - and attach it to your main piece. When you fold at the score lines you will have your little holder. Punch a hole in the front with your 1" circle punch and then attach a TicTac box on the inside with sticky strip. Attach an insanely adorable owl, stamped on Whisper White and colored with Close to Cocoa, Pumpkin Pie and Summer Sun Markers, punched with a 1" circle punch, and mounted on a 1 1/4" circle of Chocolate Chip. What a cute gift!

Next, we made a very simple card similar to one I found blog surfing this week. Using Batty For You, we stamped our images in Kiwi Kiss and Pumpkin Pie. We punched them out with 1" circle punch and popped them up onto coordinating circles with dimensionals. The ghost is stamped in Basic Grey and accented with Dazzling Diamonds Glitter.

Now, a word about a very serious subject. AFLS. Acute Feline Laziness Syndrome. I hope that no one ever has to go through this, but I have two cats with the disease. Accompanying an UNHOLY FATNESS they are now exhibiting, this disorder manifests itself by the cats needed to be held during stamping and blogging while they go into rather undignified and comatose states.

Maddie exhibits some decidedly UNLADYLIKE postures which are quite embarassing.

Should you see the signs of this disease, you should immediately pick up your kitties and just learn to type with one hand. :)

Tomorrow - a word about straws.

Tonight - A Bronx Tale, with Chas Palminteri, in town for three days. Looking forward to it.

5 comments:

  1. Your kitties crack me up!!! I love the tic tac holder. I will have to get some of the orange tic tac packs, wouldn't they be cute with halloween paper? Too bad they taste gross, and really do nothing for fresh breath! lol Nice cards!!! and thanks for the faux copics technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Tic Tac holder is one of the cutest things I have ever seen!

    I also think we need to have an AFLS telethon. Our slogan will be "Stamp out AFLS". See! It works! We could also use it for the sister disease, Acute Cocker Spaniel Laziness Syndrome as well. My two volunteer to be the co-poster children for that one.

    Hope you are having a great weekend. Saab-rina and I are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, my kitty has the same syndrome. My mother actually told me that Mittens looked fat today. If you find a good cure, let me know. Oh, love the pumpkin card, and the tic tac holder. Funny how the kitties are taking first priority with most of the comments. They are just too darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our kitties have been long sufferers of AFLS...it does progress from having to constantly hold them to them just lying across the keyboard preventing any communication with the electronic world or lying across your all your crisp and beautifully cut cardstock and DSP. You'll soon have to sneak off to the computer or stampin' area when they mistakenly fall asleep in the other room or curl up with the dogs or are otherwise temporarily distracted. Good luck to you! It's good to know we're not alone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cats just have no shame whatsoever! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...