Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Me & My Shadow - The Tutorial

Well, I guess we're gettin' a hurricane. Saturday should be very interesting. Hope the roof holds up!

Tonight I'm going to show you how to make shadows & highlights with your Sizzix, but don't blink - because it's the quickest, easiest thing you've ever done!

First, take your favorite blogger's favorite die - the Bird w/Leaves & Flowers die and run it through the Sizzix twice - once in a light color and once in a dark color. Voila - you have a beautiful shadow!! Adhere them together and put them on something pretty!! I did two cards with this technique - one for Kristina's color challenge (Bravo Burgundy, Regal Rose, Rose Red, Soft Sky & Whisper White), and one just for me because I dig black & white as much as I dig color!! On the card for Kristina, I made a soft sky highlight behind the bird, and notice on this die how you can pop the wing up a little bit - don't leave him all flat. I kind of think the rhinestone eye is obligatory!!!

On the second card, It's all vanilla except for the black, which I think is really fun. On these elegant cards I alway hesitate to add words.

Speaking of black and white, am I the only person who loves the chalkboards at Starbucks? I really love it when the stores have really creative people who do little doodles on them. Well I saw a card by my BELOVED Ellen Hutson using the white pencil technique that I just fell in love with and had to try for myself.

So HEY - what do you think? Just stamp the letters in craft white - I had to use the stamp positioner (and still got it a little wonky) so be sure and heat set between letters so you don't smear them with the imaging sheet. After they're dry, just quickly sketch with the white pencil to create the illusion of light in your image. How cool.

The rest of the card is simple! Two oval punches, a teeny greeting, and some Kiwi Kiss ribbon and cardstock. Okay I'm pooped. Gotta go. Have a great night.

3 comments:

  1. What! No kitty story?! I am so hooked on those kitties! Sorry, I did love your ideas, especially the shadows with the new SU die cuts. Awesome if I do say so myself. You should send that idea into SU, maybe they will feature it in an issue of our demo Magazine.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...