Thursday, September 4, 2008

Now is the time on Sprockets when we DANCE!


I have no idea why I said that. It's 4:30 AM. I'm not in my right mind.

A few product notes. Kristi asked about the Koh-I-Noor pencils and if I recommend them.

HIGHLY.

I own at least four types of pencils. Maybe five or six. The two I use the most are PrismaColors and Koh-I-Noor for straight coloring. Here is a little compare and contrast. And while I wish I was the Michael Phelps of stamping and people were paying me 8 billion dollars to talk about their products, *sigh*, I am not, and they are not, so this is my pure unsolicited, uncompensated not so humble opinion.

  1. The Koh-I-Noors, as far as I know, come in a set of 24 as the largest assortment of colors. Prismacolors have huge sets - up to at the very least 120. Color is important, so Prismacolor gets the nod for variety. This is very important when you're working with the Stampin' Up! colors or trying to match things.
  2. KIN (I don't feel like typing the whole name, so they'll be KINS from now on) are solid color pencils, meaning there's no wood wrapped around the coloredy part, which is so much more economical. Prismas have wood so you're throwing a lot of your pencil away.
  3. When you color with them, the KINs are very creamy, thick pencils that have more of a pastel feel on the paper and they coat better. For this reason they are easier to blend (see my blending tutorial here) and to make a smooth application of color with. Prismas blend too, they just take a little more time to get the same effect.
  4. If you're using them with Gamsol, the KIN's have a much better color intensity when blended. The Prismas look great - but a little washed out in comparison to the KIN's.
I have both for a reason. However, if you're just going to buy one and you're very serious about blending and the way you want your finished color to look, I'd probably go for the KINS. But I have no idea what buying ONE of something is like. :)

Hope you have a good one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure the title was only there to make me laugh...right? Thanks for answering that and so quickly! I am in love with colouring and I just don't think watercolour pencils cut it when I want to colour on non-watercolour paper, so I am looking for something else. I've just ordered some Copics and I can't wait for them to arrive (from the US as it's actually cheaper to get them from there with the postage ...agh). So the pencils are next on the list, but hopefully I should be able to get them here. I like the idea of thick and creamy and easy to blend, with better colour intensity, so I might try the KIN's first. Thanks so much...again - U ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...