Monday, February 16, 2009

Spring Has Sprung...

Spring has sprung
The grass is riz
I wonder where the flowers iz?

Am I the only person whose mother used to recite this little ditty? It still cracks me up.

Well I'm wondering where the flowers iz. I don't have any in my yard. And yes, Canadians, it's time for flowers here. I'm sorry that it's still cold where you are. Maybe this will help.

I wanted some color blocking. Partly from a lack of mojo after a SPECTACULAR card I can't show you until March 1st, and partly because sometimes the color fades, you know?

Color blocking usually involves emboss resist and large panels of color around the resist.

I remembered that in some sort of hoarding frenzy I had bought some thin masking tape. Not like the traditional masking tape - the kind that is repositionable and just used for masking.

Do you think I know where that is? RU nuts? Of course not. But I do know where my VersaMarker and my ruler are, so that's what I used for my grid.

I just used those to draw a cross to create my four squares. Then I embossed this cross with clear.

In each square, I then stamped the branch from Bird on a Branch in Versamark and clear embossed. On the last one, I also stamped the bird and embossed it.
The rest is easy - just sponge on some color. From top left to bottom right, my seasons go: Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring. I used Summer Sun, Tangerine Tango, Going Grey and Tempting Turquoise.

Then I used the "spring" (which doesn't even look like a word to me at this point) rub-on from Perfect Day. That's it! Hope it puts a little color in your Monday! PS - did you know that Presidents Day was originally just Washington's Birthday? In the 80's they started lumping Lincoln's birthday together with this, and then it was just turned into a Presidents Day. You should go learn some trivia about one of our Presidents and share it in your comment!
Have you signed up for the UBlue Cyber Club? Attended one of my Webinars?? Come on - get your geek on! :)

Want to see my other blog?

12 comments:

  1. My Mom taught us that ditty, too, but ours went "I wonder where the birdies iz". In fact, I was reciting it this weekend. No joke!!

    I love your card and your great Save when missing critical supplies. I, too, have some of that super-thin masking tape. Somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, Leslie, that is the way I remember it to. It looks beautiful out there today, the sun is shinning and I do have some crocus ( although they are artifical) :o) in the window so I can at least think SPRING.....but it is just around the corner. Have a great day, Hugs n' Stuff, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute card...love the color blocking!

    OK, here are a few bits o' presidential trivia for you:

    James Buchanan was the only president who never married, and Ronald Reagan was our only divorced president.

    James Madison was our smallest president at 5'4" and weighing in at a whopping 100 pounds. He was also the first president to wear full- length trousers instead of knickers, although given his short stature maybe knickers just looked "full-length" on him.

    And my final bit of trivia to lodge into your brain:

    Andrew Jackson was the only president to ever pay off our national debt, yet he believed the world was flat. Go figure.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. Here's some presidential trivia for you.

    Presidents Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, and Kennedy were assassinated in office.

    Assassination attempts were made on the lives of Jackson, T. Roosevelt, F. Roosevelt, Truman, Ford, and Reagan.

    Eight Presidents died in office: W. Harrison (after having served only one month), Taylor, Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Harding, F. Roosevelt, and Kennedy.

    Presidents Adams, Jefferson, and Monroe all died on the 4th of July; Coolidge was born on that day.

    Kennedy and Taft are the only presidents buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

    Love your card.

    M.E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lydia,
    Love your blog - you crack me up. The little ditty sounds like something my Dad would have said. I saw one of your bunny/Reanimate cards in the latest Take Ten mag. Cool! Prez info: Abe Lincoln was raised in our great state of Indiana.
    Nancy FAir

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although a Texan now, I suppose, I grew up in St. Louis, MO right across the Mississippi River from Illinois. In Missouri we got off school for Washington's birthday, but then the Illinois kids got off school on Lincoln's birthday. Somehow that was a big deal at the time, since it involved what day you got off school! This was back in the "olden days"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the card ♥
    ...have never heard your little ditty before...maybe it's an American thing??? Don't know any Presidential trivia either ...sometimes being an Australian and reading all these American blogs makes me feel like the dorky little kid in school...you know, the one who was never *in* on the cool stuff....LMBO!!!
    Hope you had a nice day off work anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got that tape too...yes I do...somewhere. Now if we could all find this mysterious "somewhere" we would never have to buy another craft supply .. EVER AGAIN.

    My mum has these little sayings that come up all the time...for example if you say to her...I won't be long...she will automatically say "I told you not to be long and look at the length of you" ROTF..crazy mama.

    WV for the day .. SPITRU .. as in
    ...um...like...
    I SPIT-on-RU (not really)
    I think it's time to stop trying to create something with htese LOL.SAD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Card, great idea for the color blocking. Perfect stamp set to do that technique with too.

    Lisa A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the card, Lydia ... very kewl!

    Yup, my Mom used to say that l'il ditty to us, too. 'Cept she said, "I wonder where the birdies is ..."

    AND then, a SECOND verse:

    "The bird is on the wing, I heard ... but that's absurd: the wing is on the bird."

    Overachievers ... the whole fam damily, I tells ya ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS: I forgot to mention that just today, I FOUND my super-thin repositional masking tape!!! In fact, two packies.

    Dang. I think they're mine ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey neat new header, love it. Hugs n' Stuff, Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...