Sunday, August 2, 2009

What Makes Us Humans

Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to be. - William Hazlitt

Got that quote today.

And while wishing I had gills to survive the humidity on my walk today, I had been thinking about something that this quote wrapped up just perfectly.

Have you ever noticed that there are whole professions that suck the life out of people and make them snarky? And how there are professions that infuse joy into their workers?

If I gave you a sec, we'd come up with the same ones. Let's just say that no one has ever come back after a trip to get their driver's license or a roll of stamps all filled with giddiness about the possibilities life holds based on their encounter at the window. Most of these despair filled outlets are run by the government, however, not all are. Some just play the government on TV. But it's worth noting. Especially if you're an Orwell fan. But I digress.

Likewise, there are places that you love because the people are joyful and fun and you and the worker aren't both fighting "the place" and wishing you were elsewhere. For me, these places include Starbucks and other coffeeshops, the Apple store, Amy's Ice Cream, Whole Foods, and some small bookstores.

What if every one of us could delete the space between what things are and what they ought to be, and only met people who were joyful in what they were doing? How different a trip for postage and your driver's license would be for all involved.

We can wish, right?

Stamps: Define Your Life Ink: Ballet Blue, Tempting Turquoise, Soft Suede Paper: Soft Suede, Old Dictionary Page Accessories: Soft Suede Ribbon, Stampin' Sponge, White gel pen, Soft Suede marker, butterfly Big Shot die

Or, we could start, by being that joyful person people enjoy being around. Regardless of place.

I say that knowing that I am going to head out tomorrow to hang out with thousands of joyful people all focused on art. The energy in that crowd is game changing. Why can't "real life" be like that? Maybe we should just do it. Start screaming and clapping when things go right like all of us will be doing on Wednesday morning. Try it. Lemme know how it goes. If they lock you up, call me - I'll bail you out. ;)

In the meantime, check here, Facebook and Twitter for your up to the minute Convention 2009 news! Kickoff is tomorrow for your girl on the street!!

Pray for safe travels for me and my 4000 friends, won't you? And pray for little Maddie and Splotchy who won't be NEARLY as spoiled when I return :(

Loveyameanitbye.


Have you signed up for the UBlue Cyber Club? Attended one of my Webinars?? Come on - get your geek on! :)

Want to see my other blog?

14 comments:

  1. Yeppers- the Butterfly's R gorgeous! Oh, for a minute there I thought I was twittering.

    I really, Really, REALLY like this card. Time for me to cut up some old books and have a go at it!

    TFS! O.K. Wednesday morning I'll scream and clap like i am at convention.

    Do you think the Prize Patrol will come to my house?

    WV-hipmyx- that's what UR card is today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Be joyful! I think it can be contagious (better that than the swine flu).

    I don't know how you do it girl; blogs, fb, twitter, SU, life (I'm sure I've left more out) . . . . but I sure appreciate you. You spread joy more than you realize. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your card, but I still cannot cut up a book.

    I'll be watching for your Convention updates! You will be soooooo popular! I hope there is no gag order!!

    WV: vacha. I'll vacha your blog and Twitter for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, I don't go to the Georgetown Post office for the very reasons you mentioned. Hutto post office much nicer to be at!

    WV-pincemi- Pincemi-I must be dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful words. beautiful card. looking forward to hearing all about convention. will pray you can find some joy on the flight.

    btw, i agree with carolyn. you spread joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia,

    Those butterflies and the whole card are absolutely gorgeous! I have got to save that and case it sometime.

    Yell and cheer joyfully when things are going good? I have already been doing that here in my house. I just figured after the rough year I had last year, that I was entitled! I sure wasn't worried about being locked up! However, my husband and daughter looked at me like I was nuts. haha.

    Yes, have a safe trip and kiss the kitties extra before you leave. I would stop in and spoil them for you while you are gone, but its kind of a long commute from Ohio to Texas.

    Hugs,

    Lisa
    Atha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun at convention and send the little darlings over here (just a hop, skip and a really looooong jump to WA State!) and I will spoil them even rottener than you!! [goofy grin]

    (Pssst... us language gals get to take liberties with words.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. J - Joy - What a great post. I think J - joy must be part of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous card. I like how you shaded around a mask under the butterfly. Bet ya thought we'd miss that :)

    I will be casing this one.

    Have a great time at convention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love love your card Lydia! Have a blast at C, safe travels and...sushi is highly advised and you KNOW to stay away from the sheet meat ;)
    Miss ya, hope we can finally get together and have a cocktail and munchies when you are back in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful time at Convention!!!
    Pls update on your blog as I will have to catch up when I get back from Sydney and Twitter posts disappear into the universe after a time...

    I love my post office by the way. I always try to ask a personal "how is your day going" when I meet people who are grumpy...it surprises them and they actually smile and chat sometimes....changing the world one sentence at a time LOL. Guess it is also part of my real job to chat!!! LOL

    WV: POODAT ...what you call Maddie when she perhaps has a n accident outside of her litter box...in a baby voice... "You little POODAT...take better aim next time OK?"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a wonderful time! Love your card but I can't part with any of my books. Maybe a magazine?
    Looking forward to your posts from convention.

    diouped---2 yr old interruption of "Did I ooped?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are praying for you and all the rest of our friends! My 15 year old just said the prayer on our dinner and asked that everyone can be safe and have a great time. How cute is that for him?

    Can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful card.
    terrific philosophy.
    i hope i bring joy to people.

    have fun at convention!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...