Monday, July 6, 2015

The Mystery of Pegfoot

Sometimes I just have to out myself in the interests of truth.

I was talking with my friend and fellow demonstrator Brian about the catalog not too long ago.

We sort of did a stroll through the catalog and pointed out things we'd like and would use.

During the stroll, we came to the Talented Trio set, which we both loved.

But I just casually said "I love this set - but I'm not sure why that one girl has weird peg feet - anyhoo - I love it anyway."

Y'all.

I live in a VERY hot climate.

I'm practically on the equator.

I'm infinitely more likely to encounter a pirate than an ice skate.

Which is what the girl ACTUALLY has on her feet. Her real feet, which are not pegs.

To Brian's credit, he did not laugh until he had to be hospitalized when I said this. He just said (perhaps with a "your hair is so pretty" tone in his voice, for which he can be excused) "Um, those are ice skates." And we moved on.

It's good to surround yourself with people of different backgrounds so that if you think someone has peg feet, a friend can tell you about ice skates. With very little judgement and an appropriate amount of amusement. It's also good if they don't live in the same state, so they can make fun of you later after you get off the phone. Come on - I know you did.

Well now that I KNOW they are ice skates, composition with her is SOOO much easier.

I shot an awesome video of the card I made with her and it vanished into the thin air of the Iphone, so you'll have to settle for a picture of pegfoot-turned-ice-skater.

I made her for today's Color Challenge on Splitcoast. I am honored to be a guest designer for this challenge for July. And today's color challenge is stunning: Melon Mambo, Sahara Sand and Island Indigo. For some reason when I saw it, my mind went to winter, and to pegfoot.



With the exception of Blushing Bride on her face, the ONLY colors I watercolored with were these three. And I think they look great together.

I did it with an Aquapainter on a watercolor card base after stamping her in Sahara Sand - I have a bunch of these card bases left over from the retreat that I like to experiment on - this one was a keeper! Stars and skate blades, a.k.a. pegs, are silver glimmer paper.
Pin It
Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

You have to admit - pegfoot is looking pretty sassy here. This card took maybe 15 minutes to make. I did restamp her face with the MISTI and Sahara sand when I was done coloring just to put her features back.

I hope you enjoyed laughing at my ignorance of all things icy. I live to serve.

Loveyameanitbye.


22 comments:

  1. hahahaha-this is too funny-but I do like your card and awesome coloring

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing about that girl, Lydia!!!! I thought she had scarecrow-like feet tied off at the end, LOL! Now I see the ice skates, I'm glad. It was sort of freaky the other way! BTW, I love love love your videos! Im happy when I see that you have a new video, and hope that your dear cat makes an appearance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swoon! This one will go in my favorites! Gorgeous watercoloring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my! I just laughed so hard! I love what you did with her. I love to watercolour, but my effects never get that good...I guess I need to practice more. *another stamp set to add to my order....

    ReplyDelete
  6. FIFTEEN MINUTES? I am in awe. It would take me that long to cut the stars! Simply lovely watercolor - and a warm pirate she is in her pretty pink coat! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT! That Brian (also lives in a warm climate) is worldly and smart and good looking. The added bling on the tips of her pegs makes it all that much clearer. This is a beautiful card, Lydia. Love the watercoloring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty card. It's peaceful looking. Love the colors and the watercoloring - and the ice skates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I live in northern NY and like to pretend that I looked this this when I skated on the river that ran along the edge of our property. But in reality I wore a marshmallow man snowsuit, hood up with a hand knit scarf wrapped around my face. And then there was the black electrical tape around the bottom of my pant legs......wrapped tightly so if I did any off roading out of the shoveled area the snow wouldn't go into my skates.....I prefer this llusion.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alrighty then...new to your blog but if this is the kind of hilarity that goes on here...I'LL BE BACK! After I wiped away the tears running dowh my face, I took a gander at that very pretty card. You're quite the colorist...you did real justice to the color palette. I'm positive no one else will think of winter seeing those colors but so glad you did. I agree, Peg is a good name for this little gal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool!! Awesome coloring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehehheheheheheheheh - yes, yes, yes... pegfoot is looking extremely sassy and content in her icy world - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! So funny to see this in July - hot summer - but believe it or not - it makes me feel cold!!!!!!!!!!! Shows you how my mind works - dear me!! Now seriously Lydia... 15 minutes? Must you egg us on that way.... gracious... I have never made anything in that short of time. Wow. New goal!!! As always - you made my day. VERY VERY VERY sweet card - pegfoot has been redeemed thanks to you and Brian! j.

    ReplyDelete
  13. : Peg is looking pretty darn gorgeous here! I truly admire your water-coloring, it's stunning! The sentiment is perfect for your card too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When reading your description, I have to admit I slightly chuckled (translated - rolled on floor laughing) until I saw the picture - she definitely has peg legs. Oh My! how I LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your card is gorgeous! And for the record, I live in the midwest, grew up ice skating, and my son played ice hockey for three years. I NEVER would have guessed that those were ice skates just from the stamp image itself!!! When stamped on an awesome card like yours, I can sort of see the resemblance to skates. The sparkly blades help, too. ;) So don't feel bad for thinking she has peg legs. I don't blame you one tiny bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. In the interest of second opinions, I showed the stamp set to my husband and asked him if he sees anything strange about any of the girls. His response: "well.....one's a ballerina, one has paint brushes...[long pause]....and one has weird pegs for feet? [spoken as a question]". I laughed out loud!!! I think my hubby thought I was crazy, until I explained why I was laughing about it. Just more proof that you and I are NOT crazy. They look like peg legs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to know I am not the only one who sees things differently. I do that all the time, and when someone points it out, what I'm really looking at, I'm like.. oh yeah, I can see that now.. What is wrong with my brain? haha Love your card, and your coloring. Thanks for sharing, and for such a wonderful story. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see where you got the "peg" idea, Lydia. But they look much better as skates! And you've colored her beautifully! I hadn't even noticed this in the new catalog. Need to go take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How funny! Equator?? I grew in Corpus...now THAT'S definitely closer to the equator. I remember wearing shorts on Christmas. And I remember an awful ice storm where it took us 3 days to get home to CC from Dallas. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  20. GAW!!!!! You crack me up and she DOES have little peg feet! I mean, I know what ice skates are but I didn't even know they were ice skates when I saw it either!! Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They do not look like ice skates , even if that is what they were meant to be!
    So, even coming from Western N.Y. state, those representations do not conjure up " ice skates" to me! Don't feel badly!
    But I loved your water coloring !

    ReplyDelete
  22. omigosh, the peg foot vs ice skater chick discussion is a hoot! BUT she was, indeed, looking pretty sassy by the time you finished with her and I love it! Even though I live in Florida, I grew up in Ohio so am somewhat familiar with the ice skate thing but truthfully, I am more familiar with the falling on my tush white attempting to ice skate thing. Easy mistake to make, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...