Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Let's Talk About Remakes

Okay - we have a serious matter to discuss.

Remakes.

I'm really deeply offended by some remakes, but oddly enough - not others.

For example, I enjoyed the HECK out of the Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Maybe the reason I loved it was because I'd never seen the original series. I feel the same way about the Secret Life of Walter Mitty and probably for the same reason.

Here are a list of remakes which deeply offend me, and I think we should all show up and protest them.

  • Wargames - SERIOUSLY??? YOU CANNOT REMAKE THIS MOVIE. IT EXISTED AT A MOMENT IN TIME WHICH WE CAN NEVER GO BACK TO. YOU MILLENNIALS DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE TIME PERIOD IN WHICH THIS MOVIE EXISTED AND I MUST NOW SHUN YOU. Also, Matthew Broderick. If anyone re-makes Ferris Bueller's Day Off you will see me on the news.
  • Overboard - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? IS SOMEONE SERIOUSLY GOING TO TRY TO GET ME TO BUY THAT THAT STORY CAN BE TOLD WITH ANYONE BUT GOLDIE HAWN AND KURT RUSSELL? These people should be shunned from society and set afloat on an iceberg covered with fire ants. No. Just No.
  • Jumanji - WHY?
  • The Birds - Remaking HITCHCOCK?? Why does that dark thought even cross anyone's mind? Is it prescription drugs? Ebola? What could drive a person to think that is an acceptable idea? Profane. It's profane. One clue on what a good idea this is is the director's name: Diederik Van Rooijen < what? No. 
You really have to wonder about the balance of good and evil in this world with this list and which side is winning.

Very disturbing.

But really - you should see the Man from U.N.C.L.E. - it's fantastic. Sorry if anyone's head just came off.

Anyway, one of our Hope You Can Cling To challenges was to remake or renovate one of our older cards. I knew which one I wanted to do, because at the time, I really liked it and I wanted to see if I could like it with a different look. Specifically, not a BLUE look.

Here is the card I chose to renovate.

And here is the renovation.

For this one I used my Zig Clean Color brush markers to color the rose, and then I cut it out and popped it up over the others, instead of coloring the base layer like I did in the original.

I ended up with too bright a pink, and so I softened it with some all over yellow, and that gave it a fun coral glow.

The sentiment is from Cottage Greetings

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog
Pin It

I love this type of challenge just because it forces you out of your habits.

But that doesn't mean we should get all crazy and remake Hitchcock movies. That's crazy talk.

Hey - don't forget - we are doing a mini-retreat in Dallas the day before OnStage Live, so come join us for a day of stamping and fun. Register here- first come, first served, and space is limited.

Loveyameanitbye.


9 comments:

  1. *picks head up off floor* A remake of Man From U.N.C.L.E. ?!?! Just no. Yes, I used to watch it. I think you've hit on something there.

    Remakes of any type are pure evil and should be banned. I feel the same way about music. Can't people just make their own music and movies? Why do you need to copy what someone else did?

    I worked with someone who thought UB40 wrote Red, Red Wine. Um, no. Neil Diamond, 1972. She hadn't been born yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is gorgeous, the red flower really pops! I'm right there with you on most movie remakes. A remake of The Princess Bride wouldn't sit well with me. If you've never watched this movie, you really must! One of my favorite remakes is the 2002 version of The Count of Monte Cristo with Jim Caviezel, it's an excellent movie. I wasn't too happy about a remake of Ghostbusters, but at least they were smart enough to include Chris Hemsworth, so I may watch that movie, when it comes out on cable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're joking! A remake of Jumanji? NO WAY! Can't be done! They shouldn't have tried that with Sherlock Holmes either. The only way that I can watch that movie is to turn him into Joe Brown or something. He's not Sherlock.

    Man from UNCLE? I watched that back in the day. One of my faves. You're probably right. I'd never like the movie. Armie Hammer will never replace David McCallum. It may be a good movie but I'd have to change them into John Smith and Robert Allen or something!

    You're right...if you've seen the original, the copy never is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, cannot deal with any U.N.C.L.E. remake that does NOT include Robert Vaughn and David McCallum. It's so WRONG!!!!! Once again my head is on the floor and I'm showing my age. HUGH GRANT as Alexander Waverly...nonsense, he couldn't touch Leo G. Carroll's shoes. I do enjoy Armie Hammer & Henry Cavill, though. You'd have to be dead to not appreciate them.
    On to your remake, which is spectacular...love the color of that rose popping off that neutral background. Deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in agreement with you on remakes. Man from U.N.C.L.E movie. Had no idea there was anything before it, ha!!,
    Secret Life of Walter Mitty is one of my top ten feel good movies. Ferris Bueller's Day Off and War Games, simply Can't be remade..two iconic cinematic gems!!
    Now your card today is a beauty Remade and in it's original form :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee hee, I'm with you on remakes of classic movies. Just got to say, though, I like the blue roses better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree on all the movies listed. Remake The Birds? NO WAY! Great post. Love your remade card! Very pretty coral rose!

    Shirl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you on all accounts!!! And your rose cards are so freekin' awesome they totally blow my mind!!! I wish I had your talent!

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...