Monday, January 25, 2016

A Sleeping Giant - AWAKE - BEHOLD, @sears !

I love it when a big, lumbering brand can beat back my cynicism with surprise and delight.

Someday, I pray, that AT&T will do this, but for obvious reasons, I'm not holding my breath.

But one brand did it this weekend, and my hat is so off, that it's like I never even had a hat.

That brand? Sears.

Yes, first of all, they are still in business.

Yes, they are still in the mall.

No, I haven't darkened the door of a mall or a Sears in 20 years.

But today - they surprised and delighted me.

We have a side by side refrigerator. It's an Amana, and it's beautiful and reliable, but the reality of a side by side fridge/freezer is that once you put a single serving (pint) of Hagen Dasz coffee ice cream into the freezer -  it's FULL and the ice cream will come shooting out and break a meta-tarsal the next time you open the door.

They are beyond impractical for people who love to make their own broth, or cook for the future as I like to do. I love making soups and stews and freeze-able things for me and my parents or friends who have surgery etc. - it's just something that brings me peace knowing that I can provide a meal for us or someone else because I did a little work in the past. I also REALLY like buying vegetables in season, and I love saving them for the seasons they aren't available. For example, during cherry fest at Whole Foods, I typically buy 6 pounds of cherries (they have a daily limit, which I'm quite certain was imposed because of me), and I freeze two pounds, make jam with two pounds, and make my homemade maraschino cherries for me and my sister with the last two pounds. Don't even ASK how many pounds of roasted hot Hatch chiles I buy during Hatch fest every year. I freeze endless quantities of Hatch puree for salsas and enchiladas throughout the year. Chiles and cherries might actually be my two favorite foods.

So it was high time for us to get an actual functional freezer that could fit some actual food in it.

We decided on a small upright from Sears, and chose the order online, in-store pickup option.

And thereupon discovered the magic of this giant, ancient company.

Today we decided to pick it up. We drove to Sears at the (shudder) mall, and parked in the pickup spot. We entered a little vestibule - not even the store, and saw a machine with instructions on it to scan our order barcode from our phone - wow - hello modern times! I scanned my bar code from my phone, and instantly my name and a timer appeared on a giant monitor on the wall.

In 3 minutes and 56 seconds, a nice young man appeared with our freezer on a dolly - and he quickly put it in the truck.

I was sort of paralyzed by the awesomeness of this instantaneous service.

It made me want to buy ALL THE THINGS from Sears.

Also at this magical machine, I noticed that you can return things. Scan your receipt, a person appears in UNDER five minutes guaranteed or you get a gift card, takes your items and your refund is returned to the purchasing card.

MAGICAL. They solved my one huge issue with shopping, which is actually entering a store of any kind - it gives me hives. Unless it's a craft store (I'm not deranged.)

All the respect to Sears. Who knew? Also, who knew that the latest hairy, unkempt hipster weird trend is grown men with skateboards? We probably saw a dozen of them in that 3 minutes and 56 seconds. SUPER weird.Shave and use your feet, people. That's all I ask.

Today post-freezer - I had some fun with a few stamp sets - the Number of Years Bundle, Bloomin' Love bundle, and the Sophisticated Script alphabet from Concord & 9th - all the letters connect so it's easy to make full words. I added some sequins from the Watercolor Wishes kit - defying all sequin hoarding instincts.


Pin It

Fun, right? I overstamped each one with the mini MISTI to make sure they were solid and bright - I liked the contrast of the crisp images from Bloomin' Love with the softer ones from Number of Years. 

True confession - I put this card in the mail today to Greg & Angie at Concord & 9th - WITHOUT AN ADDRESS. AND WITHOUT A RETURN ADDRESS. If this card makes it to them with just Greg & Angie c/o Concord & 9th - it will make everyone in the world a believer in miracles. 

Now for some EXCITING news - more exciting than the freezer - that's my mini-retreat in Salt Lake in conjunction with OnStage Live!

This will be from 10-3 (or 4) Wednesday - you will get a bag full of goodies and five hours of fabulous projects and techniques and the fellowship of your favorite stampers in the world! What could be better than that?

I deliberately keep these small, and I keep the price low - this is not a profit event, it's a fellowship event, so I'm just covering room cost & supplies, and as usual, I'll have FABULOUS prizes :).

Because it's small, it's first come, first-served, so don't wait - sign up here! And, if you are on my team, or join my team before the event, you will get a special reward at the event.

PS - today was the first day of the AMAZING Intermediate Watercolor class at Online Card Classes - I was in AWE of today's content. If you want to learn watercolor, this is the way to do it - Dawn Woleslagle is an incredible teacher, and also just a really sweet, beautiful, funny, kind girl. If you haven't spent your crafty budget this month - this is where you need to spend it.

LoveyameanitseeyainSaltLakebye.

11 comments:

  1. Bwahaha, too, TOO funny about the letter to Concord and 9th. That is SO something I would do!!! :) Glad you had a good experience at Sears. We've always really liked the appliances we got from them. Even better if you don't have to talk to a salesperson! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even little po-dink Chehalis, WA has that Sears scanner! I had just said yesterday to our nurse at work I MISS JcPenney cataligs-I'm in the market for curtains.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. First and foremost, I love this card!!!! I have been wondering about this stamp set from Concord and 9th. You have convinced me I need it 😍 Second, you must share your cherry jam recipe!!!! I have made cherry jam once but, was disappointed in the result because, my favorite bought jam ( republic of cherry) was way better. And the world should not work that way! And homemade macherino cherries...yummy do tell....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was the only woman in the world that HATES to shop (except for scrapbooking stores, of course). I LOVED your refrigerator story and I did notice Sears was still inn our mall as I drove past it! I also really like your card - simple, but bright and cheery. I guess I'm going to have to get the Misti! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, love the contrast of the black sentiment with the bright, cheery flowers. Nice card - I was in a Sears over the holidays. Nice experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on the "single size serving (pint)" of Hagen Daz! My favourite.
    Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woot! I'm registered for the Understand Blue mini retreat in SLC (I almost forgot to register for the OnStage Live event first)!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the vibrant colors of this card. Thanks for the enabling, lol.....I am so not impressed with the laziness of men that are not shaving these days too.

    Shril

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Lydia! I think that your beautiful card WILL make it to Concord & 9th... with a bit of serendipity and magic! Do let us know...
    We have nothing but praise for our experiences with Sears appliances! They have been so careful and kind while delivering and connecting our fridge one year, and washer and drier the following year. I *might* have hugged a Sears saleslady in the appliance department. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darn that script set from Concord & 9th is sold out. Love the way it looks on your card. It's now on my list. I, too, think Sears pick-up & return scanners are wonderful. If I never had to go to the mall or into a department store again, it would be too soon.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave a comment, a new LOLcat is born. ALSO - don't panic if you don't see your comment right away - I moderate my comments to keep those spammers out, so your comment will show up in short order. Unless you're linking me to Russian brides or Nigerian princes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...